Douvres-la-Délivrande

×HISTORICAL FACTS

The Liberation of Saint-Aubin, Graye-sur-Mer, Langrune-sur-Mer and Douvres-la-Délivrande
Saint-Aubin was liberated by troops of the North Shore Regiment (8th Canadian Brigade) overcoming resistance from German troops of 736th Infantry Regiment. Graye-sur-Mer was conquered by the Royal Winnipeg Rifles (7th Canadian Brigade) after assaulting a strong point at a sanatorium, to the west of the town, which was very heavily defended by German gunners. At 2200 hours, two Troops of 46 Royal Marine Commando, advancing from the Petit-enfer strong point through Luc-sur-Mer and Saint-Aubin-sur-Mer, entered Douvres-la-Délivrande, without any resistance from the Germans who had been liberally shelled by naval gunfire the previous day.
At Langrune-sur-Mer, the combat, which had begun on 6th June, doubled in intensity between 1130 hours and 1530 hours as 48 Royal Marine Commando attacked a German strong point. Langrune was finally liberated by Lieutenant Colonel Moulton’s troops but, by the end of the battle, Moulton had lost half of the men who had landed the previous day to the east of Saint-Aubin.

Resistance at the Douvre-La-Délivrande Radar Station
Between Caen and Courseulles, 1.2 kms from Douvres, two defensive positions had been installed by the German forces: an underground radar base and a bunker housing a telephone exchange, forming the Radar Station at Basly-Douvres-La-Delivrande. On 8th June, this air force radar station was still occupied by 230 airmen and German infantry reinforcements that had carried out a counter-attack against the 3rd Canadian and British Infantry Divisions which had not yet closed the gap between their forces. The station, commanded by Lieutenant Igle, housing three anti-tank guns, three 50mm guns and a dozen flame throwers, remained a serious thorn in the side of the Anglo-Canadian flank until it fell on 17th June.