Sallenelles

×HISTORICAL FACTS

The 48 RMC Liberates Sallenelles
On the eastern bank of the Orne estuary, 45 Royal Marine Commando, of Lord Lovat’s 1st Commando Brigade, took Sallenelles on the evening of 6th June but, had to withdraw on 7th and take up positions further south at l’Ecarde. Sallenelles, situated to the north of 6th Airborne Division’s landing zone, was retaken on the night of 12th-13th June by 48 Royal Marine Commando supported by 47 RMC which had secured the heights at La Perruque. Although abandoned by the Germans, the village, nevertheless, changed hands several times before it was completely liberated on 16th August 1944 by Belgian troops from the Brigade Piron.